Sunday 28 November 2010

Like they're going out of fashion

Ludicrous as it sounds, there seems to be a national shortage of wellies; well, in Newcastle at least. I must have spent 3 hours skating the streets of town to find a pair of the ugly, plasticy boots. And I came home with nothing more than frost bite in my feet.
An ice river running through the town centre and a rabble of foreign market tents trapped people at either side of the road while those who had bought wellies 15 years ago, when they were available, kicked around in the slush puppy in the divide.
Ok, that’s an exaggeration - 15 years ago. I did learn another thing, there aren’t many size 8 people in Newcastle. So now we have a shortage of wellies and a shortage of size 8 feet. One we can control, to an extent, and the other we can’t really do much about! I had four choices – size 8, size 2, the odd pair of Hunter wellies at £65 in Schuh or find myself a makeshift alternative. 
So after all that, I’ve resorted to wrapping my feet in Morrisons carrier bags before putting my shoes on.

No comments:

Post a Comment