Wednesday 2 May 2012

Another chapter

Its coming to the end of another year; well another academic year at least. Despite paying, what seems like, £4billion a year to study at uni, we only seem to spend about 2 weeks a year sat in a lecture theatre. But that's life. As us second years prepare for a year of library days and dissertation break-downs, the freshers are gearing up to actually do some work and the third years are departing...which makes me a little sad!


2 years in to university seems like only 2 weeks and we've only half left of what we have already done. This time is going to fly! And I'm not going to lie, I'm panicking.


As I take a look at the past two years of my life, the best two years of my life, I feel buzz and excitement. And when I look to next year when we'll pack up our flat, say goodbye to some of the best friends we could ever have made and go back home to where we came from, I feel sick. The experience has been life changing, in fact, I didn't for one moment think I'd even enjoy it, never mind feel this devastated at the thought of leaving it all behind.


But that's when I realised...life works in stages. Just two years ago we all felt the same when we left secondary school. We were set in our ways, had our own little groups of friends, had the safety of the family home and, the majority of us, had our mothers to change our beds. But we took a leap to the next step and I, hand on my heart, wouldn't look back. Everything which has happened, good or bad, has happened for a reason and I've learnt more than I could ever have imagined; friends, relationships and the things I should've already known - cooking (if you can call it that), washing, making beds and cleaning bathrooms.


One thing I'll never learn is to brush my hair. So as I finish the last third of my university life, I'll do everything to its full potential, take risks, laugh loud, party hard and make sure I cherish every moment. The tears, laughter, work and even more hard and heavy cleaning lessons to come will be remembered forever. And I'll never regret anything that felt right at the time.


Nobody knows what's around the corner but looking at the step I took from school to university keeps me feeling positive about what could possibly be next!



No comments:

Post a Comment