Tuesday 5 June 2012

Power through melody and tune

I've never been one to get emotional easily...not in terms of crying anyway! I'm always laughing or smiling, so I guess in that respect I am one hugely emotional person. But recently, I've become an emotional wreck and I'm not sure what to put it down to.

Through my life I've watched sad films, sad tv programmes, listened to upsetting songs and read heartbreaking things... but not once shed a single tear. Throughout the past few weeks I must have made up for the past (almost) 20 years of dry-eye and covered the next 20 whilst I was at it! Even the videos played through charity concerts, which are supposed to reduce us to tears so we donate money, have never affected me. Is it that I was cold hearted? Or, did I just not take it all in properly? I don't know.

Last week I was found sobbing at the last episode of One Tree Hill, despite the fact I didn't know what was going on because I had missed the previous 2 series, the week before that, I filled up watching the episode of TOWIE where they ran the London Marathon. And, last night I felt massively emotional watching the Jubilee song; the effort and work from Gary Barlow combined with the fact that all of these children and people had been brought over from poor and undeveloped countries to take part in such a huge event reduced me to tears. It wasn't that I felt happy for the Queen in her 60 year reign, but I felt overjoyed and overwhelmed that the event was bringing all of these people together.

However, it didn't take me long to realise that it's all down to music. No matter what race we are, religion we are or what language we speak in, music is something that we can all relate to. Music is about the only thing that's communicated the same way through every country and in every language; it gives the same message to whoever may be listening to it.

And it even comes back to TV programmes, or soaps, because if they want you to feel sad then they tell you to feel that emotion with the music that they play in the background.

Music communicates, controls and comforts us.

No comments:

Post a Comment