Sunday 18 December 2011

A new experience...

A few days ago I went to church. Yes, this is a revelation!

Me and my friend saw a poster about a carol service a couple of weeks ago and kept note of the date. Somehow, we didn't forget about it and set off trekking to find it the other morning. We arrived at the local Parish Church in Jesmond to find ourselves in the company of a dozen old ladies. But, at this time, we were in the empty church and it was too late to leave.

We walked down the aisle towards the choir, as we were directed to 'fill from the front'. At that moment, the word 'fill' seemed very inappropriate as the turnout was very poor. But, before we knew it and before we had chance to sit down properly, the place was bursting at the sides with people! We spent the whole time joking about how much busier church was than the nightclubs we had been in the night before. It was mental. Although, it was clear that these weren't the people we'd spent the night before with.

And I didn't expect anything else from her, but my friend spent some of the time creeping round the church looking for what she described as a 'wholesome man'. I can't take her anywhere! However, the only men that I saw were those lighting the candles around the church and at the end of our rows because it was a service lit by only 1000 candles. It's amazing how light it was and we didn't have any lights on... just candles!

I must have been the most uneducated person there - regarding religion anyway! We had to bow our heads in prayer a few times and we sang a few hymns, but I didn't know some of them so had to keep a low key and sing quietly out of tune. And when we sang the Christmas songs that I knew, I sang away like a church regular.

The choir was amazing and the people were so dedicated. You could tell by the way they sang, the way they looked and the feeling they gave off as they sang in a group. It was obviously very well rehearsed because the vocals worked so well together.

It was obvious which people were part of the church and which ones had just gone along to a carol service in a bid to find some Christmas spirit (like us!). Whilst we were there, I found myself gazing at the choir and the local members; admiring the children singing their hearts out in the choir. It was beautiful. I really admire people for believing in something and for something. And in a way, it makes me want to be part of it. It's a group of people who all hold something in common and it's nice to see. Especially the children, spending their day in church rather than messing around the city, causing havoc and wasting their day. I can't really explain why but I felt inspired and it was a really nice feeling.

When we left, we were all individually spoken to and wished a happy Christmas before being given roasted chestnuts and mulled apple juice. It was nice to escape the hectic life of being a student for an hour; the noise, madness, alcohol, parties, work and all the students!

I'm not religious, but it can't harm to give the place a visit a few times a year and show some respect.

1 comment:

  1. Kacee.... would you consider putting the name of the church for us? It should be recognised for prevailing amidst a country of people who have forgotten the small things in life! It sounds like a wonderful port in a storm.

    ReplyDelete