Thursday 23 June 2011

Call me at 3am, I'll still be awake

I spent the best part of my morning in the doctors today, ew! They're horrible things; the bland walls, aroma of ill people and posters to spark hypochondria in the best of people. But the worst part is the silence.

Personally, I'm not one known to be quiet - more the opposite.

I know it's called a 'waiting room' but today we had to take a bit too much advantage of it. We sat in the depressingly silent room for over an hour before I got called in for my appointment, an hour late. Although, today was a little different because across the room sat a woman; she was blonde, getting on quite a bit and spoke more than those stupid Furby's from a few years ago. Her accent was posh and she was about four stone wet through. I'd say she was knocking on seventy, but it was extremely hard to put an age on her because her hands and legs were those of a pretty ancient woman while her face looked more plastic and molded than the water bottle in the bin next to me.

For the majority of the time I sat in the waiting room, she complained about how empty the lifeless the Lake District is, while she sat in a room full of locals. She spoke how she was originally from Chelsea and misses the culture and theatre from back there. Of course she covered herself by pointing out the beauty of this area. Obviously, today's waiting room experience was a little different because I sat mesmerized with the, I guess, once-stunning lady sat across the room. You could tell by the way she was dressed, the way she spoke and her drooping face that she was once model material.

Eventually, after all the excitement of the waiting room, I was called in to the doctors room where she did nothing but extract blood from my arm and make me feel faint and sick. That meant we spent another half an hour in there where she lay me down to get some colour back in my cheeks and some blood back in my head. I've decided I have some not-yet-diagnosed illness which'll put me on a channel 4 dispatches programme next year! But that's unlikely.

I'm still nervously awaiting the results from all my tests so tonight will be another sleepless night!
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment